From a humble beginning Vijay Optica has come up to become a household name in Optical profession.
Vijay Optica started in 1959 as Wadles Ltd on Moi Avenue Mombasa in the Fontanella Arcade. The name changed to Lens Ltd after a few years, it was then bought by East African Optical. It was in 1969 that Mr. Vijay Dhutia bought the business and changed the name to Vijay Optica. From then on Vijay Optica has grown to the current one of its kind showroom in Kenya. In 1994, Mr. Jayesh .V. Dhutia (current managing director), qualified as Fellow of British Dispensing Opticians (F.B.D.O) from U.K and took over the management to bring the U.K standards in optics to Kenya. Mr. Jayesh Dhutia, who is the son of Mr. Vijay Dhutia gained lots of experience from the father and also being U.K qualified helped bring the optical standards to the family business is running the company, in mission to provide exemplary services and improve the general eye care status of the patients.
In July 2003, Vijay Optica opened a 2000 sq. feet ultra-modern optical showroom with a relaxed and comfortable atmosphere for its customers. This is adjacent to its old shop.
- The new showroom has two fully equipped consulting rooms and an in house optical lab.
- The consulting rooms are fully equipped with latest diagnostics including: Auto refract meter, ophthalmoscope, lens meter, trial set kit, slit lamp, blood pressure equipment, visual field machine, auto lens meter, U.V 400 indicator, keratometer, an illuminated eye chart with a 10 point eye examination and a full automatic computerized glazing machine.
- Vijay Optica currently employs two opticians both who have vast experience in optics.
- The company prides in the service provided by the 19 staff consisting of the manager, assistant manager supervisor, optometrists, secretary, sales attendants, accountant, glazing technicians and the driver.
- The company dispenses eye spectacles to both cash and corporate clients, having been an optical provider to several companies under the umbrella of prime Insurance providers being Aar Health, Jubilee Insurance, APA insurance, Heritage Insurance, Resolution Health, CIC Insurance and NHIF scheme covered patients referred by provincial hospitals, equipped with a smart card reader installed.
- We have managed the capitation very successfully and have the knowhow of the procedures.
- Conducting eye examinations;
- Dispensing spectacles
- In-house optical lab with full automatic computerized glazing machinery
- Interpreting optical prescriptions written by optometrists or ophthalmologists;
- Giving advice to patients on lens type, frames and styling;
- Dispensing and further training, fitting contact lenses and giving advice on their care and use;
- Taking frame and facial measurements to ensure correct fit and positioning;
- Advising patients when adjustments or repairs to spectacles are needed;
- Selecting, managing and ordering a range of optical products;
- Ordering lenses from prescription houses;
- Checking lenses and ready spectacles from the lab to ensure that they meet the required specifications;
- Dispensing UV 400prescription sunglasses.
- Also dispense spectacles with anti- reflection scratch resistant, smudge proof, water resilient and hard coated lenses and other optical services.
- Vijay Optica hosts a visiting ophthalmologist a British qualified doctor;Dr.Hellen Roberts (MBChB, MRCOphth, FRCOphth) who was awarded fellowship of the Royal College of Ophthalmologists UK in 1991.
- Vijay Optica in mission of clear vision has conducted outreach screenings and programs that have aided in protecting vision and preventing further eye damage in unison with ophthalmologist.
- Vijay Optica being in the optical profession for 45 years holds the main East Africa agency in German frames ‘’ ’’ an elite brand reigning for decades.
- Dispensing other prime GENUINEbrands like Oakley, Maui Jim,Ray ban, Vogue, Prada, Bvlgari, Tag Heuer, Cartier, Fred, Fendi, Ferucci, Crocs, Sissy Boy, Silhouette, Bavino and many more. Vijay Optica caters for all, ranging from budget spenders to high end visionaries.
- Being in a competitive environment, Vijay Optica has maintained the recommended standards to provide the best prescription lenses in both single and verifocal, the latter available in elite brands like Essilor, Rodenstock, Carl Zeiss and many more with latest features of scratch resistant, water repellent, smudge resistance and multilayer anti reflection coating.
- Specialists in dispensing soft contact lenses both long term and disposables in daily, monthly and yearly ones in clear and colored; as well as multifocal and toric disposables.
AFTER - SALES SERVICE
Regular reminders to patients for annual check-up.
Free regular adjustments and cleaning of spectacles.
Vijay Optica has received awards from various organizations like the Whale Shark Cup appreciation, Lions Club president’s appreciation, Medical camp of Siri Guru Sikh Sabha certificate for appreciation, eye camp for the Aga khan Nursery Children appreciation, Breast Cancer Survivors (BRECASCO) appreciation award and many others.